Jan 10, 2011

Holy Hibernation Batman!


This was the view out the window of my car a few days ago.  It may explain why I've been hiding for the first 10 days of this year.  Although the snow has mostly melted (and turned to ice) I'm still having a hard time getting motivated and getting out of the house. 

I'm a natural hibernator you see.  While others rush out into the snow to ski and board and snowshoe and skate, I curl up on the couch in front of my electric fireplace and read books and make plans about how I'm going to be very productive...tomorrow.  (Naturally - as I'm typing this - it's beginning to snow again.)

Although I don't try to force myself to feel jovial about the Winter months - I do make an effort to find ways to incorporate some activity and projects to offset my hibernation tendencies.

When the weather is conducive to a walk - I still take my stroll by the river.  The wind-chill has been a bit much lately, but I've was able to get out twice last week.  While walking I make an effort to notice the trees, plants and nature around me and remind myself of the necessity of the plants being able to turn inward and store up new energy for the Spring.  I've also been treated to the sight of eagles & osprey fishing and some very pregnant horses in the field beside the river - another promise of new life.

Making lunch, dinner or coffee dates with friends is another way I ensure that I get out into the world this time of year.  It's a bit too easy to go from work, straight home and bunker in for the night.  Making time to get together with friends is a double-perk.  I get out of the house or office and I get a laugh with a pal.

Being supportive is a great motivator too.  A friend told me yesterday that her daughter is going to be in a public spelling bee.  Without thinking I said "please let me know when it is, and I'll come."  I also attended a choral concert in December and have plans to see a gymnastics competition soon - all because people I know are involved.  Are they activities I'm personally interested in taking part in - not really.  But I can get out and support my friends and their kids and spend a little less time hiding indoors.

Do you find that you tend to hibernate this time of year?  What do you do to get out in the world when you'd rather be inside?


18 comments:

TMCPhoto said...

I'm a total hibernator. Having the Peanut (and very soon the Bean) helps get me out. I also try to get out once a week to have lunch with the Husband where he works. It's a great way to break up our week and it's a special treat for all of us.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I get out in Winter about the same as in all the other months. Of course, that's not saying all that much! I'm not a sports-minded person so that eliminates many outdoorsy things.

mxtodis123 said...

Your photos are beautiful, but I am much like you. If I could hibernate and enjoy nature from my window, I would probably not leave me home the entire winter. I am so afraid of falling on the icy sidewalks.
Mary

Unknown said...

I don't like going out in the snow but I do enjoy winter walks and feeling the cold air (but in moderation). Equally there's something magickal about being inside when it's freezing with a steaming cup of coffee and a good book.

Anonymous said...

I'm a half-hibernator. I enjoy sledding and getting out with family and friends, but when that wind chill hits....you can find me in front of the wood burning stove with my woobie and the remote : )

the wild magnolia said...

Valuable thoughts and attitude on facing winter and being a friend.

Blessings.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

After going through Halloween and Christmas, we love to hibernate. But we get out with our friends as often as we can. We convinced our whole crew and some neighbors to go celebrate some friends of ours that own a wine bar's first anniversary. We all had a great time and it was good to get out on a Saturday night.

BTW - lovely snow pictures!

Cheers!

Sarah Sullivan said...

Oh oh oh I am so glad that I am not the only one! I so look forward to the winter months so I can knit in peace..quilt..catch up on movies! I love the outside and walk alot in the cool and snow..but really I just want a good hot of tea, some soft yarn and a good movie! You bet hibernation for me too!
Hugs, Sarah

Anonymous said...

I am a hibernator. I am out and walking and busy from spring to the end of fall but once the snow flies I am mostly a stay at home, enjoying my books and crochetting and some DS playing. I will go out to walk to work and on the weekend one with DH but that is the most for me and those walks with DH the weather be as warm as one could wish for in the winter or I will postpone. Hugs and sparkles - WG

Danni said...

You can tell from the crickets chirping away at my blog that I'm also in the hibernator category! I go outside when I can and try to get my butt unglued from the couch to be productive, but I haven't been very good at it lately. :)

Jeanne said...

Love the lavender shades in the pics!
Good for you! Making a concerted effort to get out during the bitter chill of Winter. :0)
It's so easy to hibernate when it's cold and cloudy. At least for me. But I think we humans need some hibernation in the winter. Makes us appreciate the Spring all that much more....

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful post and pictures. I too, am a hibernator. I love to be inside my cozy home in winter but I also love to take a daily walk - can't resist the call of nature and the wisdom she bestows.

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness!! That is one heck of alot of snow! I would hibernate too. :) We were supposed to get snow yesterday but the system turned out to be a dud which is fine with me. It was 53 today. Hope all is well, Jen! xoxo

Tracey said...

Oh dear sista! Come hibernate with me!!It has been a cold winter here, and I miss everyone back home!

Alexis Kennedy said...

I'm a half-n-halfer myself.. I love feeding the birds, playing in the snow and enjoying brisks walks in the cold air.. mostly though, I like cocooning in my home with my family.
Cozy is the word that comes to mind, and I love all that it connotates :)

Dede said...

I don't care to leave the house when it is so cold. This is the time of year the I spend a lot of time making quilts, the summer is just to hot to make them. We haven't had the snow, but we sure have had the rain and cold temperatures. I can find lots to do in the house, staying warm and dry.

(((HUGS)))

Mama Kelly aka Jia said...

Another hibernator here! I love to watch the snow out the window, but "playing" in it hasn't been my thing since childhood. Now, like you I'd rather be curled up with a good book!

Kelly

PS cleaning up my blog and added your button to our networking page

Kekibird said...

If I had that much snow, I'd hibernate too!