Apr 27, 2011

Witches in Fiction - Witch Hazel


In honour of Pagan Culture's Witches in Fiction Blogoversary Party, I'd like to take a moment to re-introduce you to Witch Hazel.

Although this Disney short was first released in 1952, I met Witch Hazel as a child in the late 70's during Disney's yearly Halloween special. This holiday edition of "The Wonderful World of Disney" which played weekly on Sunday nights when I was young, was always the most anticipated epsiode of the year.

Hosted by The Magic Mirror of Snow White fame, the Halloween special boasted not only the short "Trick or Treat" featuring Witch Hazel and a trio of web-footed nephews, but also "The Wizard's Apprentice" from the movie "Fastasia" and my all-time favourite telling of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."

Witch Hazel herself, is a peppy gal. Zooming along on her fine steed Beelzebub, she is on the lookout for a good time on Halloween night but finds more than she bargains for when she runs into Donald Duck.

Do yourself a favour and settle in with a handfull of leftover Easter chocolate and pretend it's Halloween while you watch this enchanting Disney short:





A very happy blogoversary to Magaly at Pagan Culture!

6 comments:

Tamara said...

This is just beyond cute and you brought back alot of great memories for me. I remember as a kid settled down to the Wonderful World of Disney with my little sister. We looked forward to it every week. :) Awesome Witches in Fiction share!!! Thanks :)

Suzie said...

I would date myself horribly, if I admitted to seeing this when it was first released, so I won't! lol

But I will admit to settling in with my three kids when they were little, to enjoy the Halloween special on The Wonderful World of Disney. .they loved the 'toons as much as I always had (ooops!!!). .and yes, their version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a classic!

Do you remember Warner Bros. Witch Hazel? My younger daughter still remembers her battles with Bugs Bunny, and how her hair pins would tumble out of her hair every time she took off on her broom!

Thanks for a wonderful trip down memory lane! There is nothing like a good cartoon!! (especially a Halloween one!)

Rue said...

I do remember Warner's Witch Hazel. She didn't seem quite as friendly to me though. I was never a huge fan of The Bugs Bunny show on Saturday mornings. I was a Smurfs girl - lol!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

This was so much fun. Thanks for, as the others said, a trip down memory lane. I just love Huey, Dewey and Louie....Donald not so much. Witch Hazel was a gem. The Olde Bagg

Anonymous said...

Oh Rue, I am grinning from ear to ear. Thank you for the fun and beautiful memories of Witch Hazel, a (temporarily) forgotten favorite of mine.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thanks so much Rue! I must say that it is my first time watching Hazel and the Donald youngsters do their thing--grew up without TV.

I love the house, and her laugh lol. I think it's too funny that she terrifies the cat.

I'm adding this to the digest!