May 7, 2011

Farmers Market Saturday - The Season Opens!


Today's market was a small but lovely start to the season.  Not too many people around at 8:30am when the opening bell rang and the weather wasn't too cooperative, but all in all a nice market.

There were plenty of garlic, onions and leeks:


As well as lovely lettuce mixes:


And my favourite treat - lavender shortbread cookies:


Yes, I could get green onions at the grocery store for 89 cents.  I could buy a head of lettuce for $1.  But there is something so incredibly satisfying about talking to the people who were out in their field at 5am this morning, picking lettuce for my salad.  I know where my food comes from when I shop the market.  I know who grows it and that they don't use pesticides or chemical fertilizers.

I recognize the baker that makes gluten-free treats.  I go see the same lady with the little boy that grows bigger every year to buy my spinach.  I even shop at the refrigerated truck that sells organic sausages (buffalo too!)

Yes, it's more expensive.  But I'd rather cut back on a Starbucks latte and put that $3-$4 toward a trip to the market and know what I'm eating and where it comes from. 

If you have a local farmers market, why not support it and the growers this season?  It's definitely money well-spent!

10 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Gosh, I cannot believe how fast time has passed. It seems like only yesterday that you were posting about the farmer's markets. I've always enjoyed it. Maybe now that I have a camera, I'll take a few photos of the one we have here in the city.
Mary

Meganne said...

And that money you spend goes straight into your local economy instead of sending it away! Among other things. :)

I'm lucky enough that we have a small farmer's market through the winter here for eggs and a few greens. The large outdoor market starts in March, but it is just starting to pick up now. The wonderfulness of farmer's market is one of the reasons why I want to be a farmer! :)

Tamara said...

I agree with Meganne in that the money you spend at the farmers market goes right into your local economy. Plus you know the things you buy are locally grown and fresh. Nothing like it!!

Wendy said...

Those lavender cookies look so delicious. You're being a good mother to yourself by choosing healthy and nurturing foods and our priorities change. When the Farmers Market is over, then Starbucks can call you back ;)

goddessandmagick said...

That is so true! eat the things and know where they come from. And helping those to stay on business too!! plus the fan day out there!!!

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

It's great the markets are opening! We went to the Saturday open market on Salt Spring and had a wonderful time. I love to support local!!

HappyCrone said...

sustainable agriculture...versus Starbucks?!!! You know me, Jen, and you know what I say!!! Earth first, local first, and ban Starbucks and Walmart, LOL!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to support your community and eat fresh healthful food. I am with you!

Wizardess said...

Yum!

Lois said...

I'm so tired of people telling me how much cheaper things are at the grocery store! It's not the same at all. Produce is alive at the market. :) Lois