Oct 11, 2011

So Much Turkey - So Many Thanks

This past weekend, we Canadians got thankful.  We do like to get our Thanks out of the way early.  It's polite, and practical, in that we have two and a half months before the next huge meal.  Plenty of time to lose the 5lbs we just gained before it's time to take holiday pictures with the family in front of the Yule tree.

I only managed to snap two pictures during Thanksgiving dinner.  Mostly because I was too busy filling my face. 

Vegetarians - look away!

Don't say I didn't warn you.

This is only a portion of the carnage that two turkeys, one ham, numerous side dishes and 22 guests wrought this past weekend at my parents' home.


After the feast was suitably dished up, many of us migrated outside to get a bit of fresh air to aid our digestion.  We rarely have small holiday meals at my parents' house, and this Thanksgiving was no exception.  My friends' kids ran around in the yard and lounged by the fire.  People were telling old stories, laughing and pointing out the constellations.

Before the meal, my 98 year old grandfather said grace.  Although I don't pray to the same gods, the sentiment was exactly what I would have said.

"Thank you for food and family, blessings and protection.  We remember those who have gone before, and are grateful for those who have gathered with us."

Amen.

Blessed Be.





15 comments:

Birgit said...

I am happy to hear that you had such a lovely Thanksgiving meal with your family. Makes me wish that I could have been there at the table with you. :) The fire outside looks so cozy, too.

Hugs,
Birgit

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a wonderful thanksgiving you had. we only have the four of us so i envy your big celebration!

Robin Larkspur said...

Your meal looks stupendous! Now I can't wait for our Thanksgiving. What a perfect prayer your Grandfather made. Many blessings to you and yours!

mermaid gallery said...

after 96 years, your grandfather has got the sentiment down perfectly!...i would have said the same thing too!

Barbara F. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! It is my favorite holiday that I usually host, but for a smaller crowd! xo

Mother Moon said...

you always seem to kick start me in the holiday spirit... or maybe it is just make me hungrey for turkey.. it all looks so good. the cooler temps are not bad either... may do a bit of cooking today... :-)

petoskystone said...

so glad to read of the enjoyment!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Mmmm, meatilicious!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rue doll! Looked like fun to me. I sent a thank you gift in the mail yesterday, but not sure how long it's going to take to get through customs.

the wild magnolia said...

And it was well with my soul, food a plenty, family and friends, and a warm fire.

Thank you for sharing.

Wulf said...

I spent my Thanksgiving weekend at a Pagan festival, ending not with a massive multi-turkey feast but with the burning of the Corn King. It was the right place to be.

And your grandfather's blessing is lovely, and I must make a note of it for future use.

Rue said...

Jaz - after all-day prep, a small celebration sounds wonderful! I think we are having a very small Christmas meal at the parents' place this year, so that will be nice!

Ms. Lilypads - you are too sweet! I'm glad you liked your deck!

Wulf - oh, that sounds wonderful!! Very much the right place to be.

Jennifer said...

That sounds wonderful! And I like your grandfather's prayer!

ArtSings1946 said...

Yummy,I can't wait till November for ours. Peace, Happiness and Abundance to ALL !

Lady Rose said...

Bright blessings and happy thanksgiving (a little belated)! Myy favorite recipe this time of year is Pumpkin Fluff Indulgence (my spin on the weight watchers pumpkin fluff dessert) - all the yumminess but not as decadent as pumpkin pie calorie wise, which reminds me I should probably post the recipe! :)