Nov 17, 2011

Remember November


"When I no longer thrill to the first snow of the season, I'll know I'm growing old." 
~ Lady Bird Johnson

The first real snow has come to the Valley.  We had teasing flakes last week, but now it sits upon the land - a mere half inch, but here nonetheless.  A snowfall warning has just flashed across the tv screen, and I'm watching the window to see how accurate the weather channel is.  No new flakes...so far.

I was able to get out and walk the river today and that is always a boon to my spirit.  The sound of snow crunching underfoot was meditative and the scent of woodsmoke in the air was sweet.  The horses across the river were playing with each other, and the ducks were paddling around a small circle of pond that was left un-frozen.

I like the first snow.  It feels like a fresh start.  A clear starting point to the new season (even though Winter doesn't officially begin until December 21st-22nd.)  It feels right to put away the Autumn things and start pulling out the boots and mittens.  More candles will go up around the house, and the Yule incense I've been making will be burned.

Over at my parents' house, my mother has been making good use of their Halloween pumpkins, and there are fresh pumpkin muffins and pumpkin cake to taste.  Several of the neighbours have put up their holiday lights and displays already. 

It seems strange to admit that the year is nearly at an end.  I have a good memory of pea-planting in March, abundant lettuce in June and farmers markets in August, but time skips from one quick scene to another, and my mind can't wrap itself around the fact that it's mid-November now.

Not wanting to miss a thing about the rest of the year, I've added some additional items to my to-do list:

~ Be here now.
~ Enjoy the season.
~ Take it all in.

I think that's something I can manage. 

4 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

What a beautiful sight. I so love walking in the snow, only here in the city its gray and icy.
Mary

petoskystone said...

lovely post :)

Jeanne said...

Beautiful photos and a very poetic post! You are lucky to live in a gorgeous part of the world. Thank you for sharing it with us! :0)

mermaid gallery said...

i love the silence of the snow,,,,so peaceful......but the roads were pure ice yesterday...a little yin and yang of our winter wonderland....