Sep 7, 2012

Back to Practice


I was going to write a post that paralleled going back to school and getting back to my personal practice, but that clever Teo Bishop beat me to it.  You should definitely read his post, even if you are not following a Druidic path.  Much of what I’m feeling of late is similar.

September not only grabs me with its warm days and cool nights, but with its pretty school supplies, and the memories of getting back to a regular schedule.  Because I drive my niece 20 minutes down the road to the next town to catch the school bus, I have to be up early now Monday to Friday and it’s the perfect excuse to get back to my routine too.

Although I light my altar candle each morning and greet the directions and refresh the water and take care of any offerings on my two deity altars, I’ve let my meditation practice slip.  My excuse is that gardening and wild crafting are meditative, but that’s not entirely honest.  I am in tune with the earth while I’m outside, but I’m also not entirely open to receive messages or check-in with my guides and guardians.  Sometimes they have to shout to be heard over my constantly muttering mind.  Taking time to be still and silent is important to me, and something I’ve let slip.

I’m looking forward to returning to a routine.  My Craft is fluid.  I don’t subscribe to one way of doing things, one religion or ceremony.  My actions flow with what is calling me at a certain time or what particular road I’m following.  (I know there are some right now, groaning about eclecticism.  I’m not going to change, dearies.  Oh - and read this article by one of my teachers, Christopher Penczak.)  Speaking of Christopher - I loved his Temple courses (I finished the Outer Temple course this past January) and highly recommend them.  I enjoyed his system of classes and the work.  Although I do use some of the practices that Christopher teaches, I still find that I naturally move back into a more fluid and less structured path.

Having a daily practice, a small bit of structure in my otherwise fluctuating path, is a nice touchstone for me.  It is a place to focus my energy for the day and a good space for tuning in.  I’m looking forward to getting back to my ritual.




6 comments:

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

I too of late have found myself thinking almost the exact same thoughts. I just need to get back into balance. Some days I find it extremely hard to find balance. Its always in my mind, I just need to put it out there. Blessings!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is a great article by Christopher Penczak! I like his eclecticism/syncretism and magpie/crow contrasts. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Beth said...

Hi. The ebbs and flows used to be deeply confusing for me but I've learned to trust them. Fluidity is a wonderfully natural feminine trait. Thanks for the article links.

Sara said...

There is something to be said for schedule and routine. Now that my boy is back in school, I feel a bit more settled and ready to start up on things I have let slip.

The Country Witch said...

Argh, it annoys me when people get on others for the use of the word "eclectic". I'm an eclectic witch, although I more indentify as trad but there is nothing wrong with being eclectic.

Anyways, rant over :)

I too am trying to get myself together and get back into practising more, it's a hard thing to do but I tend to think baby steps.

Goddess Findings said...

I've wondered about this myself- are certain activities meditation, or must I be seated, cross legged and still to connect with the Divine? I think about how difficult it is sometimes to quell the thoughts when sitting, and compare that to the way I can slip into the vortex so easily during a walk and feel completely connected....and then those outcomes can be completely reversed sometimes. Lovely post, back to school time is quite nostalgic for me.