Sep 5, 2012

Wandering Into September


The last week and a half have had me hopping.  A camping trip, back-to-school shopping with my niece, finishing off my summer artisan fair and planning for a September festival, plus playing catch-up at the office have all worn me a little thin.  Not surprisingly, a tickle has developed in my throat and my lungs are feeling a bit tired.  So, out comes the elderberry tincture, the rosehip tea, the garlic and a good dose of vitamin C.

Mostly, some time in the fresh air is what I crave.  Yes, camping afforded that - somewhat.  I was in a pretty commercial campsite with some construction going on, so there wasn't much nature communion happening.  Luckily, I don't have to go far to get some tree-hugging time.


I find that I take off for the hills more often now than I ever used to.  Being so close - it's like a tease for me.  Whether I'm with friends on a planned outing or just hearing the call of the forest, I love jumping in my car and driving 10-20 minutes up the road into the embrace of pine and fir and juniper and so many other plants and trees.


There are rose-hips to pick now.  Wild elderberry, Oregon grape berries and more.  Too much for me to take on at once.  I am focusing on rose hips this week.  It's a good time to make syrup for the cold and flu season ahead.  All those red dots on the bush in the below pic - rose hips!


The garden is winding down and a few tinctures and infusions are ready to strain and bottle.  Although the busy summer is all but over, there is still much to be done.  I'm grateful for the cooler nights now and the crisp mornings that allow for me to be back out walking by the river without fear of sunburn or bug bites.

September is showing up beautifully!



"By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer."
~   Helen Hunt Jackson, September, 1830-1885






5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope you wear bear bells and carry bear spray when you go wild berry picking! They're out berry picking now too!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Yes you are a fortunate one to be close to hug a tree, me too. I don't have a source for elderberries but rose hips yes. Would you mind sharing how you process your rose hips? I'd love to know how you do it. Oma Linda

Jeanne said...

Beautiful country! And I can so relate to hearing the call of the forest. Hubby and I have been heading to the hills every chance we get!

Robin Larkspur said...

How fine to be able to zip up the road for quality time in the woods and wild areas. Take care now.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I hope that tickle doesn't need more than a rest to go away. Take a breather! I know how difficult (if not impossible) it can be sometimes, but you have to take care of you ;-)