Sep 30, 2014
The Great October Book Giveaway
**Comments on this post are not included in any prize drawing. Please comment on the current giveaway post (click the image in the sidebar on the right that looks like the one above - it will take you to the current giveaway). Or, on the mobile site, click the "Rue and Hyssop" header above, and scroll down until you see the current giveaway.**
Welcome to the 4th annual Great October Book Giveaway!
A little over five years ago when I started off on this blog journey, I don't know that I ever expected to meet so many amazing people, stumble across innumerable delightful blogs, discover fantastic podcasts, and be introduced to the loveliest folks on social media. The connections that I've made, and the interactions with the charming visitors to this blog, have been a gift. There is not one day I regret hitting "publish" on that first post. (Although there are some cringe-worthy posts in the dark recesses of this blog, I'm sure.)
This yearly party is my way of giving a big virtual hug to all the folks that have connected with me over the years, especially everyone who has ever stopped by to read a post here at Rue and Hyssop. This little blog holds a big place in my heart, and so do all of you (squeeze in - we'll all fit, I promise).
Books. And more books. Witchy books, herbal books, books on faeries, books about totems, books on ancestors, and more. I could have given out chocolate, but I didn't trust myself to save it for all of you. Buy your own Halloween candy - I'm tossing books in your trick-or-treat bag.
Here's the fun part - each book was bought directly from the author (either in person if I was lucky enough to meet them, or via the wondrous world of e-commerce) and they autographed them for you. Some even threw in an extra treat or two! It's a double-bonus. You get a little more of a personal touch than if you bought the book from an online big-box store, and the author gets the cash in hand (one small way you can support your favourite writers). Another way to keep the love flowing is to buy directly from the publishers. This year the good folks at Red/Wheel Weiser sent along two titles from their recent catalogue!
* I will post a giveaway approximately every four days this month. You've got those four days to leave a comment on the blog post for that particular giveaway, and then I'll draw the winning name(s) and post the next giveaway. I'll leave dates and times in the posts, so you know when you need to have your entry in by.
* This giveaway is specifically for folks that connect with me in some capacity. In your comment, please let me know how you and I rub URL's (is that creepy)? For example, simply say: "blog follower" or "FB friend" or "Twitter follower" or however that applies. If you look to the right, on my sidebar, you'll see the different ways we can connect. If you are a brand new follower because you just stumbled across me or someone pointed you this way - welcome! Have a look around and toss your name in the hat too.
* Please ensure that there is a way for me to get a hold of you. I'm not going to allow anonymous comments because I get terrible spam if I do, but you can use Open ID or a registered account to comment. For now I'm going to leave the comment moderation feature off, but if it turns out that I've got to spend time each day deleting comments, it may have to come back on. Let's hope the Halloween gods get rid of the trolls for us.
* In the past I've run a very easy "leave a comment and you're done" giveaway. I like this simple approach but I'm willing to consider a second entry if it's something you really want to do. If you want to promo the blog/giveaway in some fashion and get brownie points for it - do your thing. Just make sure that you comment a second, separate time, leaving the link to your promo. Even if you share the giveaway all over the interwebs, I'm only going to allow a second comment. I don't want this getting too crazy y'all.
* You will have exactly one week to respond to my request for your mailing address, and I'll send your book out within a week of receiving that info from you. If you don't respond within 7 days, I will have to draw a new winner for that particular book.
* I am in Canada. I will send the books to Canada, USA or overseas (according to the legal rambling below) at the most cost-effective shipping rates. This means your book may arrive anywhere from 5 days to 5 weeks after I mail it. (In Canada - approx 5 business days. To Germany - approx 5 weeks.)
* This giveaway (or "sweepstakes") is open to all residents of Canada, (exluding Quebec residents) the USA, Great Britain, Europe, South America, who are 18 years of age or older. This giveaway is void where prohitibited by law. Please be aware of the contest/sweepstakes laws in your area.
* Canadian residents will be subject to a skill testing question before being able to claim their prize (this is standard law in Canada). The skill testing question will be in a form similar to: 1 + 2 - 1 =
* This giveaway is not for profit and no purchase is necessary to enter.
* This giveaway is sponsored/administrated solely by this blog/blog author and is not affilitated with or sponsored by Blogger, Facebook, Twitter, or any other entity, nor can they be held liable.
* By leaving a comment intending to enter into the draw for the giveaway (or "sweepstakes") you are knowingly agreeing to these rules/conditions.
I have chosen all the books featured this month myself, based upon new publications I've been made aware of, or authors I have met in person, or simply based on a whim. I have not been paid to feature a book, nor have I been asked to advertise for anyone. This giveaway is not endorsed or sponsored by anyone other than Rue and Hyssop.
Make sure you are back here on October 1st to put your name in the pumpkin, and keep checking in! Click the pumpkin photo in the sidebar on the right to see the latest giveaway and leave your comment there.
Comments on this post do not count toward the giveaways.